01473 210210

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I pay?

4You need to pay your refundable deposit at the time you sign your tenancy agreement. You can pay your deposit and rent in cash, by cheque, bank transfer (please note personal cheques needed to be paid 7 day in advance.

You can pay your rent in any of the following ways:

  • Up front in one go by cash, cheque (7 days in advance, debit/credit card or bank transfer (please contact office for bank details.
  • Termly by 3 equal instalments
  • Monthly by standing order (by prior arrangement)

Are there other fees I have to pay?

And that’s it, unless you want the optional extras that we offer at selected properties, e.g. car parking, contents insurance, etc.

What does the weekly rent cover?

Your room, the shared areas and facilities of the property, electricity, gas (if applicable), water and internet access.

When do I get my refundable deposit back?

We currently take a holding fee of 1Weeks rent which secures the property, and is offset against the rent account on the day they move in and pay the balance.  This is a non-refundable fee if you withdraw from property.

3Do I need to buy a TV License?

All homes in the UK require a TV license. For more information on TV licensing visit www.tvlicensing.co.uk.. Please note that Student First are not held responsible for ensuring you have a valid television license. This is your responsibility and you need to ensure that you comply.

Do I need to pay council tax?

Students are eligible for exemption from council tax. Please provide us with a copy of your student certificate and then we will ensure you do not pay. If you do not provide copy of certificate you will be liable for any council tax payable. Should you move into the accommodation prior to your initial course start date or you leave your course you may be liable for council tax.

What is the cost of the onsite Laundry facilities?

Washing machines are provided for your use at no charge. Where available, dryers are are charged at £2.00 per use.

Are utilities covered?

utility bills are included in your rental charge, so you don’t need to worry about dealing with any additional utility bills during your time with Student First.

Is there a curfew?

There is no curfew but, as with all rental properties, neighbours must be respected.

Can I have guests staying?

It’s your home so you can have guests staying over. We do not allow sub-letting (where you rent your room out to another person) but are not going to stop you from having a friend or family member over from time to time.

How do you decide who I will live with?

We allocate rooms based on your preferences.

2How can I find out who I’m living with?

We are not able to provide you with the names and personal details of other students who are going to be living in your accommodation, but we may be able to give you other non personal information (e.g. how many males and how many females etc).

Can I live with my friends?

Yes, you can book as a group

Can I change my room once I’ve moved in?

If you move in and you are not happy with your room, or you have friends in another Student First flat you’d like to live with, then we will, wherever possible, try and move you if there is space available. Please note there is a £50 administration charge to cover the cost of preparing new documents and getting your new room ready.

I’m a part-time student, can I live with Student First?

You can still live in certain accommodation but would be liable for any council tax due. (check with your University for details on council tax exemption).

I’m not a student, can I still live with Student First?

Student First can offer different types of accommodation. Please contact us for full list of available properties.

Do I need to bring my own TV?

TVs are provided Spring Court, and Lounges at Grimwade, houses do not have TV.

Which Internet service provider do you use?

We currently provide an NTL/Virgin fibre optic 2 mb uncontended link to all rooms.

5Can I bring my car and park at the property?

Not all properties have car parking facilities. You should check this with Student First before committing yourself to accommodation. If your property has a car park there will be an additional charge if you wish to book a parking space. However, there is no guarantee that spaces will be available. Some disabled spaces are free of charge – please check with us for details.

Contacting us

How do I report a problem with my room?

To report a problem please click here to complete our online Maintenance Report Form, or speak to our office on 01473 210210 or email us at info@studentfirst.co.uk

How do I make a complaint to Student First?

We hope you will never have a need to complain to Student First. However, if you’re not completely happy then we would like to know. In the first instance you should speak to one of our members of staff. If they cannot resolve your issue they will advise you on who to speak to next.

There’s something wrong with the Student First website, how do I tell you?

We love hearing your suggestions on how we can improve our website and aim to get any issues resolved as quickly as possible. If you do spot something wrong or would like to give us a suggestion, please feel free to contact us at webcorrections@studentfirst.co.uk.

6How can I contact Student First?

There are several ways you can contact us:

  • by telephone on 01473 210210
  • by e-mail to info@studentfirst.co.uk
  • by mail to Student First, 90 Grove Lane, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1NY
  • or by calling into our friendly office at the above address during the hours of 9am to 5.30pm Mon – Friday.

Can I get a job working for Student First? We occasionally have temporary positions available within properties. Please contact Student First for more information.

Featured Properties

£110 PW - Ipswich


£90 PW - Ipswich